2010년 3월 31일 수요일

At BEIMUN: Beijing Kaoya


A couple weeks ago, I was at Beijing for BEIMUN.
It was fun of course, but for me the best part was the food.
Of all the food I had, my favorite was definitely the Beijing Kaoya, also known as the Pecking Duck by Westerners.

Beijing Kaoya has been one of my favorite dishes since I first tasted in third grade in a restaurant in Virginia. Since then, I've begged my parents every weekend to go there for dinner. Good times... However, my joyful days of eating Beijing Kaoya came to an end when I moved back to Korea in fifth grade:( There are no decent Kaoya restaurants in Korea! So... I hadn't had it for three years... I had missed it... But then I got a chance to eat it again in Beijing! Actually, I had two chances! Once in Dadong Restaurant and once in this restaurant which I don't remember the name of.....................

I'll show you a couple pictures of my delicious meal at Dadong restaurant!

We started the meal with two dishes of fried rice. This one above was the duck liver fried rice. We were a little doubtful when we ordered the dish, seeing the word "duck-liver" in the description. However, it turned out to be delicious!


This was our other fried rice. It tasted okay, but I found the duck liver one more appetizing. This one had a peculiar spice in it that I didn't really like.

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for, I present to you the Beijing Kaoya!!!!!!

Wow, very beautiful! LOL
The duck skin is on top with the meat on the bottom. We ate the skin with sugar and the meat with a brown sauce and pancakes and sesame bread.

I wanted to show you another picture of the Kaoya so that you can fully appreciate the beauty of the glossy duck!

After we were done with our duck, we were served some duck soup. I didn't like the soup very much; it was a little too greasy for me.

This black sesame soup was served as dessert. I loved it! It tasted exactly like the black sesame spread that comes with Market O's water crackers.

We were also served some fruit and gum after, but unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of them:(

Haha, our masterpiece! My friends and I did this while we were waiting for our food. One of my friends protested against it saying that we were acting like a bunch of kindergardeners, but we did it anyway! I guess we did look a little odd, setting our ducks into a circle and taking pictures of it. LOL

Me satisfied with my meal and playing around:)

Well, that's how my first meal in Beijing went. If you have never had any Beijing Kaoya, I highly recommend that you try it! It's REALLY good!

댓글 1개:

  1. The food looks really good! I've been to Beijing a few years ago and it was pretty fun!:)

    답글삭제